Thursday 25 October 2012

Casa Mia, Leeds

Casa Mia is one of those restaurants that, because of it's prime location, everyone knows about. This doesn’t mean that everyone goes. Having asked all my food-loving friends no-one had actually visited. I saw a 40% off voucher on Voucher cloud and thought this sounded too good to resist.

Considering the location and how lovely it looks from outside, I was a little let down by the interior. I felt like I was in a cafe rather than a restaurant. I wouldn't mind this at all if I was paying cafe prices but when your paying up to £12 on a main you expect it to be a little finer. In fact, I have since found out that I was sat in the ‘deli’. On the second floor there is "a stunning a la carte restaurant in comfortable surroundings" (apparently). I don't know why they sat us in the coffee bar when they didn’t seem that busy; maybe it was the voucher...

The choice on the menu is stunning. I was tempted by so many dishes that it took me a good few minutes to decide. Here are the options we chose:

Starter
Meat platter - "An array of italian meat, mozzarella cheese, charcoaled grilled vegetables and more"

Mains
Squid Ink pasta - "Fresh homemade black ribbon pasta with mixed seafood, fish and shellfish"


Pork - "Yorkshire slow roast pork, served with sage, parmesan, creamy gnocchi, with crisp parma ham"

Dessert
Baked Alaska - "Homemade italian ice cream bomb with black cherries in middle on a bed of shortbread coated in merengue and baked. Served on fire"


Now, the starter. From the description were you thinking wooden board with a pile of delicious meats, bread, cheese and roast veg? I was. It was actually what I would describe as a meaty salad. It was huge, but mainly consisted of iceberg lettuce, then stuff thrown on top. They were very generous with the salamis, hams and chicken slices but they all reminded me of Morrisons sandwich selections more than fine Italian meats. There was also a tiny ball of mozzarella. A bit disappointing, especially for £8.95.

After the discouraging starter it turned out that my main was faultless. I had the pork and it was amazing. The meat was melt-in-the mouth and crispy at the same time, the gnocchi was in a delicious sauce and the parma ham was a great addition. I couldn't recommend this enough.

The pasta was alright. The pasta itself was very tasty and you could tell it was fresh but I felt they were being a little grudging. From the description of "mixed seafood, fish and shellfish" you would expect a bit more than a few sandwich prawns and mussels.

I never usually go for deserts as I'm always more temped to get some Ben and Jerry's on the way home for less money, but with 40% off I thought it was a good opportunity to try one. We decided to go for the Baked Alaska. Again, my main criticism is the tightness. When a desert costs £6.95 you expect it to be a bit bigger. However, it was very good. All the different elements of the dessert were perfect and they all worked feel together.

Their slogan is "Good people followed by consistently good food. You can't have one without the other!" Well, the food was hit and miss and the service wasn't excellent either. I overheard a girl on the table behind me complain that her main wasn't what she expected. Considering the waiter asked the question it was a bit rude when he didn't even respond, he just walked off.

I also saw one of the waiters with a big plastic tub spooning the "generic Italian red sauce" onto a calzone in front of the whole restaurant. I know this time saver has to happen but when you’re paying over a tenner for a calzone it's something you'd like to pretend doesn't.

The bill came to £61 before the voucher. I wouldn't spend this again. I even think the £45 we paid after the voucher was too much.

www.casamiaonline.com






No comments:

Post a Comment